Module Three

Part I - Quality Questioning Responses


In chapter one, page nine definitely stood out to me because students should know answering a question incorrectly is fine. It is part of the learning process. The steps to the Quality Question cycle are preparing the questions, presenting the questions, prompting thinking, process responses, and polish questioning practices. I use partner sharing in my classroom all the time. I love when students can teach each other concepts as well. It opens up a world of possibilities for the students to gain an understanding of a concept from their peers. I will definitely commit to using this in the future in my classroom because it allows planning of two to four great questions for students to explore and engage in to demonstrate their understanding of a topic or concept. Students are given more opportunities to scaffold with the teacher’s guidance if needed through prompting. Students are given multiple opportunities to answer the question correctly. It sets up a positive learning environment while deepening students' understanding of the information presented to them.
In chapter three, the response ideas that most resonate with my teaching style right now is response structures to build a foundational knowledge and check for understanding. I am constantly making sure students are comprehending the different concepts through formal and informal assessments. I am pressed for time as a first grade teacher and often find myself just looking for the “right” answer. In first grade, the educator can only hold the student’s attention for so long before they turn off to the activity. This is how I find myself thinking and I am constantly thinking of ways to best support students and get to the meat of the lesson without adding anything extra. The students in my classroom do not last long on the carpet during whole group before we have to change it up and do something different during the day. The state also requires so much progress monitoring this year and students completing time on apps such as STAR Math and Lexia that time does not really exist to do fun and engaging activities as much as an educator who teachers first grade would like for the students. However, through reading about quality questioning, I have found more importance in taking the time to do this to benefit my students learning. I would like to incorporate more deepening of understanding into my classroom. I would also enjoy more of the power of alternate  response structure to have my students learn more from their peers and develop a deeper understanding as students teach the material to their peers. It benefits all the students in the classroom and gives a better understanding of the concepts being taught across any content areas.
In chapter four, I really never thought about having the students not raise their hand. This would definitely prepare them to think more about the question and be ready to respond. I will definitely incorporate these norms into my classroom. I never had an issue with wait time. I understand the students need time to process what is being asked. Sometimes I will reword the question for them to help clear up what I am asking. This sometimes helps the student as they prepare to answer the question. I have speech bubbles around my Promethean Board that state how to kindly reply to another peer’s response. Whether the student agrees or disagrees, there are statements to help guide their thinking as they begin their statement. The norms just give me a better format on how to utilize the speech bubbles and pay more attention to all the thinking going on in the classroom as I ask a question and each student prepares to answer it. This is definitely holding accountability to the students as they are preparing to answer a question or listen to another classmates response and respond to that as well.
In chapter five, calling to mind criteria for an acceptable response, both knowledge and the cognitive processing, might be the most difficult for me as a teacher. Preparing for an acceptable response and demonstrating that both through knowledge and the cognitive process are both happening at the same time, sometimes I tend to focus on one more than the other. As an educator, it is important to be mindful to both to best benefit each student’s needs and to deepen their understanding of a concept. Providing feedback in both areas, just reminds me as an educator the importance of feedback for all students in all areas to make sure they are getting the most from the educator as possible to best benefit them. Feedback is so much more than just a smiley face on a piece of paper. Giving students the knowledge they need to gain understanding about a concept to best benefit them is how feedback should always be presented to students. This allows students to gain knowledge and grow in their understanding of a topic and best serve the students and their needs.


Part II - Quality Questioning Miro Board

 I used miro board as a use to scaffold by adding images from the texts and adding sticky notes around it to deepen my understanding of the concept of quality questions. I used real world examples to help me connect what I am learning to what I do or want to incorporate in my classroom. It is an easy way to layout my notes in a way that is not just typing notes. Miro board has more features which allows you to create images and insert images. I am a visual learner so this tool helped me a lot as I deepened my understanding of what a quality question consists of when planning and collaborating with my colleagues. I feel my notes are a way to better help me understand and gain knowledge of quality questioning. It is definitely a tool that can be used to differentiate note taking for all learners. This is definitely a favorite tool for note taking I have added to my list!

Lindsay Bunker_Miro Board

Part III - QQ and Teaching Math Using Number Talks

I love Number Talks; I use them in my first grade classroom. I like to use them to start my lesson and to use as a review. It is a fun way for students to share different strategies they are using to solve different problems and gives the teacher an opportunity to check for understanding. I love in the video how it incorporated partner sharing. This is a great way for students to learn from one another and to deepen their knowledge about the concept from their peers. Knowing now about quality questioning and how this is used in the classroom will benefit my Number Talks in my own teaching. This allows students to deepen their understanding by listening and being ready to be called on to respond since we are not raising our hands to share. Everyone is prepared and thinking about how to answer the question. The students are more engaged and are becoming better learners as they think deeper about the questions being asked in a number talk. I also love how in the video, the teacher wrote the name of the student by their strategy. This gives ownership of the strategy and allows students to see their thoughts being shared. It is something for the student to be proud of as they share their thinking with the class. Number Talks are a great way to develop student’s understanding of a topic, deepen their knowledge, and share their thoughts with their peers in a safe, positive learning environment.



Part IV - 21st Century Tool Review

Nearpod

 The purpose of this tool is to ask students questions in a fun, positive learning environment to check for understanding of a certain topic or concept. Students get to explore different content topics and interact with other students about their knowledge they are learning or have learned. It is a great way for students to extend their knowledge on different concepts as they explore throughout this app. The teacher has control over the material being presented. Teachers can make a lesson for students to interact and include quality questioning to get students asking and answering questions. Students can apply their knowledge to deepen their understanding.
 The technology a person would need to know is how to set up a nearpod activity. Students use a code to interact within the lesson the educator is presenting. You would need to know how to access other lessons already made through the search bar and clicking on different content topics and grade level.
 This connects to quality questions as the educator searches for different content and provides a technology app to the students so they can deepen their understanding of a topic. This is a great way to incorporate technology in the classroom setting and allow students to be engaged in sharing their knowledge as they are exploring different aspects throughout the app.
 I found this application through Instagram, @nearpod. The site offers stories and images with descriptions on how other educators have used Nearpod in the classroom. It also has videos to explain more about Nearpod, It is a great tool to utilize in the learning environment.


Todo Math

 The purpose of this tool is to deepen student’s understanding of mathematics by differentiating instruction in asking  purposeful questions to students to grow their knowledge of a certain mathematics skills. This tool is a great quality questioning tool as it ask students questions using fun and engaging tools to hold the students interest as well. Students can earn coins and unlock maps as they continue to grow and develop in their mathematical skills. This app is great for primary grades in developing skills and the vocabulary they need to benefit them in growing in mathematics.
 The technology knowledge needed is that the educators can actually log on and see each student’s performance in Todo Math. The educator can see if the students are struggling and can better serve them with lessons needed to differentiate their learning needs to help each student feel successful in the learning environment. Students will need to log on under “daily” to differentiate their needs and unlock maps. This keeps students interested and growing their skills as they desire to unlock more maps to reach each treasure box. It is a great, fun way to hold the student’s interest and also develop the student’s math skills to develop their  mathematical skills.
 This is connected to quality questioning as students are asked quality questions to build understanding. This is not just word problems and solve. It is a fun way the questions are strategically asked and students gain knowledge as they solve the questions. Each lesson is presented differently so students do not lose interest. It also will allow students to use help tools to guide their instruction if they are struggling, but also inform the teacher. It is a great quality questioning tool and as an educator I love how this tool presents questions to students to deepen their understanding of a mathematical concept.
 I also discovered this tool through Instagram, @todomath. It is a tool that is appealing to primary grades.It has videos for educators to watch and also the Todo Math mascot to engage students interest if the educator was to show the students the videos to get them excited about Todo Math. On Instagram, educators can see some of the lessons Todo Math has and presents to students. It is a great quality questioning tool for students to use in the learning environment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Module Two

Module One